Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Ryusenkei -- Koi no Cider (恋のサイダー)


Gotta say that I'm getting pretty tempted to get an album...any album...by groovy band Ryusenkei(流線形).


I mean, it may be the early 21st century but these guys are disco-ing as if it were the late 1970s or early 1980s. "Koi no Cider" (Love Cider) is straight from Ryusenkei's debut album "City Music" from 2003. The arrangement is a love letter to City Pop and I just adore the drums in this tune. Unfortunately, that's about all the information I can get about this song since the band still doesn't have any sort of website or even any recognition on J-Wiki. I think their Facebook page is about it for representation outside of any media reports on them. But I did find out that Tomomi Sano(サノトモミ)is the vocalist here.

Various folks have put forth that City Pop as a genre should be addressed to the creations by Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎), Minako Yoshida(吉田美奈子), Makoto Matsushita(松下誠)and others from decades back and that the tunes made by folks like Ryusenkei should be given a new name or the old one of AOR. However, I think the newer stuff I've heard still fits the bill enough to earn the return of the name of that favourite genre of mine. At the same time, though, I think I can see their point since City Pop seems to refer to the big city (namely Tokyo) during a time when the Economic Miracle was paying off in big dividends...a time that no longer exists now.

Incidentally, you can also try out another song from "City Music": "Airport '80"(エアーポート’80).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.