Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Taeko Rei -- Anata Nanka Hoshikunai(あなたなんて欲しくない)


Returned from a meeting of the condo owners tonight which, as usual, ended up in name-calling acrimony. Didn't stay for Round 2. At least, the coffee and cookies were good.


Anyways, let's put up another round of 80s pop here by Taeko Rei(令多映子). This time, the song is called "Anata Nanka Hoshikunai" (Don't Want The Likes of You), and it's from her 2nd album "Taeko" from 1984. My inaugural entry for Rei was also from this album so now I'm wondering about being able to get it somehow.

Written by Goro Matsui(松井五郎)and composed by Kan Ogasawara(小笠原寛), unlike "Furimukeba In The Rain" which was a City Pop number, "Anata Nanka Hoshikunai" has more of that American dance-pop beat from that part of the decade, and perhaps even with a hint of REBECCA injected in there. I think for that reason, it has also hit a happy nerve. As for my images when I hear this one, considering the title, I just imagine some very angry disco dancer shoving her now-erstwhile boyfriend while she storms off the flashing dance floor.

I also compared Rei in that first article with fellow City Popper Yurie Kokubu(国分友里恵). That vocal resemblance is there, too, but I also get hints of Tomoko Aran(亜蘭知子). Some pretty nice singing company there.

1 comment:

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.